“The Sisters of Mercy began operating St.

“The Sisters of Mercy began operating St. James Elementary School at 29th and Wabash in 1866–one year after Abraham Lincoln’s assassination. The nuns ran the school when all the students were Irish, and the commitment continued when all the students became African American. They ran it when the parish was one of the most affluent in the city and kept going long after it became one of the most impoverished. Along the way, they survived 33 Chicago mayors, 27 U.S. presidents and 10 popes. But they couldn’t survive the tenure of a rookie pastor, the Rev. Edward Linton.”